BFFs.



Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yeah, I got these

I was told yesterday I have nodules on my vocal cords. My question is, why did God have to make the inside of our larynxes (spelling?) look so suggestive? Really? Anyway, I got 'em. So now I pretty much have to shut it for at least the next month.

I'm a singer in my "spare" time. I play at bars in the area. I travel a bit. It's fun, and I don't really know what to make of it. But having someone tell me to stop doing it because I've injured myself makes me re-evaluate my goals. Or at least evaluate them for the first time.

When I was a kid, I just wanted to be the Little Mermaid. I thought she was super-glam and sang like a mossy angel. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really translated that dream to an above ground pool. But that's for another day. Regardless, I'm being forced into a hiatus. I had to cancel gigs in Chicago and Lexington; I had to let my drummer down. Buuuuuuut...I'm not really sad. I'm kind of relieved. I have a day job, and I actually have a second part-time "recreational" job, and then I squeeze music, gardening, dog therapy, home improvement projects, and a moderately healthy marriage into all of it. I was getting a little burnt out. On Wednesday, I get to have another camera stuck down my throat to determine the severity of the nodules. They'll take pictures, and I'll hang them on my fridge and let people ask questions. But, I suppose if I'm destined to sound like Tom Waits (instead of the Little Mermaid) for the rest of my life, it might not be such a bad thing. He makes a lot more money than I do. Besides sometimes I find it's easier when someone else makes my decisions for me. Sometimes I need someone else to bear that burden.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm an S-LP with a new client who has nodules. Did voice rest work for you?

    ReplyDelete